Here is another Bengali style Rohu Fish recipe, which I made with mustard paste and yogurt. This yogurt and mustard paste combination really goes well with any kind of fish preparation. Do give it a try, and i am sure you gonna love it.
- Rohu fish pieces – 4 to 5
- Mustard paste – 2 tbsp
- Yogurt – 2 tbsp
- Onion – 2 tbsp (chopped)
- Ripe tomato – 1 small size (cubed)
- Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp
- Kashmiri Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Green chili – 3 to 4
- Kalonji or nigella seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil for cooking
1. Take the clean fish pieces in a plate then add some salt and turmeric powder in it. Set aside for 4 to 5 minute and then shallow fry it both the side. Take them out when done.
2. Now in the same pan, put some more mustard oil, when oil heats up add the kalonji seeds and let it crackle. Then add the chopped onion. Cook it for about a minute or two till soft.
3. Next add the Kashmiri red chili powder and remaining turmeric powder. Mix it and then through the cube tomato. In the mean time take a bowl, add the mustard paste and yogurt, mix it nicely so that there should not be any lump.
4. Now pour this mixture into the pan, season with salt and mix it in a low to medium flame till oil starts separating.
5. Add the fried fish pieces and mix it with the masala. Now add 1/2 cup hot water into this masala and cover the pan for 3 to 4 minutes or until you get the desire consistency of this gravy.
6. Now open the lid, throw the green chilis and coriander leaves . Check the seasoning and switch off the gas and give it a standing time for another 4 to 5 minutes.
7. Now enjoy and served hot with steaming white rice.