Today’s recipe is another Traditional Bengali dish which is called ‘Sheem Aloo Sorshe’ that means Flat Beans Cooked with Mustard Paste. It’s a wonderful appetizing vegetarian dish for every Bengali’s house in winter days.
- Flat beans – 200 grms
- Potatoes – 2 slice
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds paste – 3 tbsp
- Green chilies – 2 to 3
- Kalonji /Nigella seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Bay leaves – 2
- Dry red chili – 2
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil for cooking
1. Rinse the beans and take out the ends and strings. If you get the big size, then make it a half, as my one is small size so I kept it whole.
2. Next heat the oil in a heavy bottom pan and then add the bay leaves, dry red chilies and kalonji seeds. Let it crackle.
3. Now add the slice potatoes. Fry it for 2 minutes. Then add the flat beans with salt and turmeric powder. Stir well and cover it in a low to medium flame, cook till the veggies are soft and tender. Stir in between.
4. When it is almost cooked add the mustard paste and gently mix. Now adjust the seasoning and throw the green chilies and coriander leaves.
5. Cook it till all the moisture are absorbed. Lastly turn off the heat and put 1 tsp mustard oil on top just for extra kick, and give it a standing time for more 5 minutes.
6. Its taste good with accompaniment pipping hot rice.