Today I am sharing ‘Bhoger Khichuri’ which is served during all our Puja festival. Bhoger Khichuri is not just a dish, its a sweet memory of each and every Bengali’s childhood memory. But today I am giving a special touch by adding Paneer and Peas into it.
- Gobindobhog Rice – 1 cup or use any small grain rice
- Yellow Moong dal – 1 cup
- Paneer – 100 gms (small cubed)
- Green Peas – 1/2 cups (I use frozen)
- Ginger – 1 tbsp grated
- Green chilies – 3 to 4
- Dry red chili – 2
- Bay leaves – 3 pcs
- Whole spices – 1 cinnamon stick, 4 cardamom, 4 cloves
- Panch foron – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – tsp
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp (I use mustard oil)
1. First take a pan and heat up, next add the Moong dal and roast it in a slow flam for 5 to 6 minutes till it is aromatic and golden brown in color. Now transfer to a bowl and wash it for 2 to 3 times and then soak it for 30 minutes.
2. Wash the rice 2 to 3 times and soak it for 30 minutes.
3. Now in a pressure cooker add 1 tbsp oil, when oil heats up add the bay leaves, dry red chili, whole spices and panch foron. Let it crackle. Then add the grated ginger and green chilis. Stir it for a few seconds.
4. Next drain the water from rice and dal, then transfer it into the cooker. Mix it nicely for a minute or two and then season with salt and turmeric powder.
5. After that add the 4 cups of warm water and bring it to a boil. Cover the lid and let it pressure cook for 2 whistle.
6. In the mean time take a another pan add 1 tsp ghee. Add the cubed paneer and peas, fry it till little brown in color then turn off the heat and season with required salt.
7. Now open the lid and add this fried panner and peas into this khichuri with a dollop of ghee and mix. If required you can add little more water to adjust the consistency. Its ready now.