Kajoli fish is a very soft and delicate fish with a single bone. Today I am preparing in a very simple way by adding ginger and green chili paste, the way my mom does it. The gravy is too light and soupy and worth satisfying.
- Kajoli fish – 300 gms
- Green chilies – 6 to 7
- Ginger – 1 inches
- Turmeric powder – 1.5 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kalonji seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil for cooking
1. Wash and clean the fish nicely, then put the 1/2 tsp salt and turmeric powder into it. Mix it properly and set aside.
2. Next you need to make a smooth paste of ginger and 5 whole green chilies. Try it use fresh green chilies.
3. Take a deep kadai and heat the mustard oil. Now shallow fry it in batches. When done take out into a plate.
4. Next in the same kadai throw some kalonji seeds, let it crackle. Then add the ginger and chili paste into it with remaining turmeric and cumin powder. Fry it for 2 minutes in a medium flame till the raw flavors goes off completely.
5. Next add the 1.5 cup of water and bring it into a rolling boil. Season with salt, add the fried fish now and let it cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
6. Lastly add the chopped coriander leaves and whole green chilies and then turn off the heat. Cover it and give it a standing time for another few minutes.
7. Its ready now, so simply serve it with steaming plain rice and enjoy.