Celebrating Winter with this Epic dish Sarson Ka Saag, a famous delicacy which is prepared during the Winter Season in every Panjabi household. Its a quintessential meal served along with Makki ki roti, Butter, Green Chilies, Onion and Gur(jaggery).
- Mustard leaves – 1 bunch
- Spinach leaves – 1/2 bunch
- Bathua leaves – 1/4 bunch
- Cornmeal (makki ka atta) – 2 tbsp
- Onion – 2 medium chopped
- Tomato – 2 tbsp chopped
- Ginger – 1 tbsp slice
- Garlic – 8 to 10 cloves
- Green chilies – 4 to 5 slit
- Dry red chili – 2
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Dollop of butter for garnish
1. Wash all the leaves nicely then chopped them.
2. Now take a pressure cooker, add all the chopped leaves, along with ginger, 2 green chilies, 4 to 5 garlic cloves and little salt, sprinkle little water and then pressure cook it for 3 whistle.
3. Next open the lids and mash the greens using back side of the ladle for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the cornmeal into this mixture and again mix it nicely. Set aside.
4. Take a pan heat the ghee on a medium flame. Then add the dry red chili and chopped onion, fry it till soft.
5. Next add the remaining chopped garlic, tomato and green chilies. Fry it until the oil separates from the masala. Then add the green mixture to this and cook it for 5 to 6 minutes until fully blended.
6. Sarson ka saag is ready, serve it hot with a dollop of butter and then enjoy with makki ka roti.
Note : Incase if you don’t find the Bathua leaves, still you can make it with Mustard and Spinach leaves. Take the ratio 2:1.