This is an age old recipe of Bengali Cuisine. Simple ingredients with delicious taste. Here I use Jumbo Prawns but you can use medium size prawns also for this recipe.
- Jumbo Prawns – 4 pcs cleaned
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Mustard paste – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Green chilies slit – 5 to 6
- Kalonji seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil for cooking
1. Marinate the prawns with salt and little bit of turmeric powder, then keep aside.
2. Now take a blender, add the grated coconut with little water and make a paste.
3. Next heat a kadai with mustard oil. Now shallow fry the prawns and then take it out in a plate.
4. Now in the remaining oil throw some kalonji seeds and green chilies, let it crackle. then add the coconut paste, mustard seeds paste, remaining turmeric powder and red chili powder.
5. Cook this masala in a medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes until the oil comes out. Next add 1 cup of water and bring it to a boil, after that add the prawns and cover the lid for 5 to 6 minutes or until you get the desire consistency of your gravy.
6. Now serve it hot with plain steamed rice. (I use few coriander leaves and slice tomato as a garnish)