This is a very simple dish, which can be easily paired up as a sides with rice or roti. I used green pumpkin for this recipe.
- Green pumpkin – 1 cup (cut in long strips)
- Black chickpeas – 1/2 cup (boil)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chili – 2 nos
- Curry leaves – a few
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafetida – a small pinch
- Salt to taste
- Oil for cooking
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan then temper with cumin seeds, dry red chili and asafetida. When the seeds begin to splutter add the curry leaves.
2. Next add the pumpkin and fry it for a minute. Now add the salt and turmeric powder and mix well. Put the boil black chickpeas also, cover it till the pumpkin is soft and cooked. Stir occasionally.
3. Lastly open the lid, check the seasoning, then add the cumin powder and mix it for one last time. Now switched off the heat and serve it hot.