This authentic Aloo Posto doesn’t need any introduction if you are a Bengali. The ingredients are very simple and classic with a great taste, at the same its a comfort food also. The other name of ‘Posto’ is Poppy seeds or khaskhas.
- Potatoes – 3 large size (peeled and cubed)
- White poppy seeds – 4 tbsp
- Green chillies – 4 to 5
- Dry red chili – 2 no
- Panchforon – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 1/2 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Mustard oil for cooking
1. Soak the poppy seeds in warm water for 1 hour. Then make a smooth paste using 2 green chillies and set aside.
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a kadai. When oil heats up then add the panch phoron and dry red chili. Let it crackle.
3. Next add the cubed potatos. Cook it for 5 minutes. Now season with salt and cover it for 10 to 12 minutes. Stir occasionally.
4. After that remove the lid and add the poppy seeds paste. Mix it properly. Now add 1/2 cup of water and cover it until the potatoes cooked though.
5. Lastly add the sugar and green chilies. Mix it nicely and check the seasoning. Put the ghee also at this stage, and then turn off heat. Its ready now and serve it with hot rice.