Kajoli fish is very much common fish in bengal but now a days we get frozen in USA also. This fish is so soft in texture with a single bone. So handle it gently while cooking.
- Kajoli fish – 15 to 20 pieces
- Mustard paste – 2 tbsp
- Poppy seeds paste – 1 tbsp
- Green chillis – 4 to 5 (slit)
- Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kalonji seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil for cooking
1. Clean the fish nicely then marinate with salt and 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder. Keep aside.
2. Now heat a mustard oil in a non stick pan, when the oil reaches smoking point then add the fishes. Fry it lightly, as this fishes are a very soft and cooks very fast. When done keep aside.
3. To the same pan add little bit more oil, when oil heats up throw the kalonji seeds and slit green chillies, allow them to splutter.
3. Now add the turmeric and red chili powder with little water, so that the masala does not burn. Add the mustard and poppy seeds paste also. Cook it for few minutes till oil starts releasing from the masala.
4. Now put some more water for the gravy, when the gravy starts to boil add the fried fishes. Cook it for 2 to 3 minutes then turn off the flame. Serve it hot with steam rice.