Kashmiri dum aloo is a perfect recipe when we are not in a mood of cutting and chopping (haha, jokes a part but its true). Here we just need few special spices to get this beautiful color and texture into the dish. So lets get started with the ingredients.
- Baby Potato – 15 to 16
- Yogurt – 4 to 5 tbsp (beaten)
- Kashmiri red chili powder – 1 tbsp
- Ginger powder – 1 tsp
- Fennel powder – 1 tbsp
- Whole spices – (1″ cinnamon stick, 4 cloves, 2 green cardamom, 1 black cardamom)
- Asafetida -1 pinch
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil for cooking
1. Wash the baby potatos well, then boil it in a pressure cooker for 1 whistle. When it cools down peel the potatoes and prick it little bit using a fork, so that the potatoes can absorb the flavors of the masala.
2. Take a pan, heat 4 tbsp mustard oil, when it begins to smoke add the potatoes and fry it in a medium heat till it gets a light golden and crispy in color. Now remove the potatoes in a kitchen paper towels.
3. In the same oil add asafetida powder and above mention whole spices. Stir well till it gets fragrant. Add the sugar also.
4. Then add the Kashmiri red chili powder and little water (so that masala don’t get burn). Now low the flame, add the beaten curd and mix it continuously, so that the card does not split.
5. Now add 1 cup of water and cover it. Continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Open the lid, add the fennel and ginger powder along with fried potatoes. Season with salt and stir well.
6. Cover it again and cook it till its done or you get the desire consistency. Now serve it with Paratha, Naan or Pulao whichever you like.