Chicken kosha is very easy to prepare dish with regular spices in our kitchen. The main concept here is that we are not going to use any water in this preparation, thats why its named as ‘Kosha’.
- Chicken – 1 kg (curry cut)
- Potato – 2 no ( cut it from the middle in two pieces)
- Onion – 1 big no (chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Tomato – 1 (chopped)
- Curd – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Kashmiri red chili powder – 1 tbsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tbsp
- Whole spices – (1 medium cinnamon stick, 4 green cardamom, 4 cloves, 2 bay leaf, 2 dry red chili, 6 to 7 black pepper corn)
- Green chilies – 3 to 4
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil for cooking
1. Clean the chicken pieces and then marinate it with curd, ginger garlic paste, salt, little bit of turmeric powder and Kashmiri red chili powder. Keep it aside at least for 1 hour.
2. Heat mustard oil in a deep bottom pan. Then add the sugar, let it caramelized.(sugar helps to bring lovey color to your gravy and enhance the taste also)
3. Now add the above mention all the whole spices, saute it for a minute till aroma release.
4. Add the chopped onion and fry it till golden brown. Then add the turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, cumin powder. Mix it nicely.
5. Then add chopped tomatoes and season with a little salt. Cook it for another 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Now its time to add the marinated chicken and potatoes, give it a good mix for about 4 to 5 minutes in medium flame.
7. Next slow the flame and cover it up with a lid. Chicken is going to leave its own juices. Do not add any water.
8. Cook it until chicken and potatoes became soft. It will take 20 to 25 minutes. Lastly add the green chilis and garam masala powder. Then turn of the heat and give it a rest for another 4 to 5 minutes.
9. Your Chicken Kosha is ready now. Enjoy this with hot rice, pulao, roti, naan or luchi..
Notes : Chicken Kosha is a dry preparation. If you feel its too dry for you and masala is stick to pan then just add little warm water to deglaze the pan.