Hilsa or Ilish is the most popular fish in Bengali Cuisine. This variety of Fish is cooked in various ways but today I am preparing it with mustard gravy (Shorse Ilish) which is very popular and easy to cook also.
- Hilsa fish – 4 to 5 steaks
- Mustard seeds – 2 tbsp (I use yellow seeds)
- Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kalonji seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Green chilies – 6 to 7 pcs
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil as required
1. Soak the mustard seeds with litter water for 1/2 hours than make a fine paste adding 2 green chilies. Keep aside.
2. Clean the fish pieces under running water then rub 1/2 tsp salt and turmeric powder into it.
3. Now heat the 3 tbsp mustard oil in a kadai and fry the fish pieces from both the sides. Do not fry it too much, when done take it out in another plate.
4. Now in the remains oil add the kalonji seeds and green chilies. Then put the remaining turmeric and red chili powder. Just stir it quickly and add the mustard seeds paste. Mix it for about a minutes or two.
5. Add the 1/2 cup of water and bring it to a boil. Season with salt and put the fish pieces. Cover it up with the lid for 5 to 6 minutes.
6. Now check the seasoning and turn off the heat, if you wish you can spread a little bit of raw mustard oil on top, as it enhances the taste and give a extra kick.
7. Now serve this delicious shorse ilish with steaming hot rice.