‘Lau’er Ghonto’ is a dry curry, which is prepared by steaming the bottle gourd in its own juices. Its prepared in low to medium flame, which really helps to bring out all the flavors of the lau, and bori gives a nutty taste into this dish.
- Bottle Gourd(Lau) – 1 (cut it small thin pieces)
- Yellow moong dal – 1/2 cup
- Dry lentil dumplings (Bori) – 6 to 7
- Green chili – 2 to 3
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Bay leaves – 2
- Dry red chili – 2
- Suger – 1/2 tsp
- Ghee – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil for cooking
1. Take a pan then dry roast the moong dal till light brown. Then take it out in a bowl and soak it in a warm water for 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Now in the same pan heat 1 tbsp mustard oil, when oil heats up add the Bori(dry lentil dumplings), fry it and take it out. Again put 1 tsp oil then add cumin seeds, dry red chili and bay leaves. let it splutter.
3. Add the chopped bottle gourd (lau) along with salt and turmeric powder. Mix it up nicely. Put the soaked dal also and cover it in a low to medium flame. Stir it occasionally till the water dries up and veggies get cooked properly.
4. Lastly open the lid, add the fried Bori (crushed little bit using hand), sugar, green chili and ghee. Mix it gently and turn off the heat. Give it a rest for another 5 minutes. Then serve it with hot rice.