Rice pudding or kheer with freshly harvested Date Palm Jaggery is a traditional dessert of bengal. This jaggery also known as Patali Gur(in Bengali) the solid form of date palm jaggery. It is made specially in winter season or maker sankranti.
- Whole milk – 1 litter
- Gobindobhog Rice – 1/4 cup
- Nolen Gur – 3/4 cup (date palm jaggery)
- Salt – a small pinch
- Cashew – 1 tbsp
- Raisins – 1 tbsp
1. Wash the rice and soak it for 30 minutes.
2. Now boil the milk in a heavy bottom pan. Cook it for sometime till it reduces 20%. Then add the soak rice, keep cooking on low heat until the rice is fully cooked.(stirring well in between)
3. After that add the cashew, raisins and pinch of salt, then turn off the heat. Now add the jaggery and fold everything well. Allow the residual heat to melt the jaggery fully.
4. Serve hot or cool as you like. But I like chilled.
- Now the important thing is rice should be fully cooked before you add the jaggery, because after adding the jaggery(gur) the rice will not cook any further.
- And secondly, the impurities in the jaggery tends to curdled the milk, so always add the jaggery after switch off the heat.