- Toor dal / Pigeon peas – 1 cup
- Mix veggies – 1 cup (i took carrot, beans, pumpkin, raw banana, radish & squash)
- Tomato – 1 (cubes)
- Onion – 2 tbsp (chopped)
- Ginger – 1 tsp (grated)
- Garlic – 1 tsp (finely chopped)
- Coconut – 2 tbsp (grated)
- Green chili – 2 to 3 (slit)
- Bay leaves – 2 no
- Dry red chili – 1 no
- Panch phoran – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Roasted cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for cooking
1. Soak the 1 cup pigeon peas / toor dal / arhar dal for 1/2 hours. Now take a cooker and put the veggies & dal with salt and turmeric powder. Add the dice tomato also. Now close the lid and cook it till done. (I usually give 1 whistle)
2. So next heat 1 tbsp oil in a kadai, when oil heats up add the bay leaves, panch phoran, dry red chilli and fry till it crackle.
3. Add chopped onion and fry it till soft. Now add the chopped garlic and ginger. Stir the mixture till the raw flavor goes off. Add 2 tbsp of grated coconut. And fry it again till aromatic .
4. Now add the boil dal with veggies into the kadai and give it a nice mix. If required add little hot water to adjust the consistency. Bring it a boil.
5. Now through the slit green chili and coriander leaves. Stir well. Check the salt, if required put some more.
6. Switch of the flame. Now add the roasted cumin powder & ghee for divine flavor . Enjoy this yummy dal with steaming hot rice.