Pabda fish is a clean and fresh water fish, which is of very delicate and soft variety. Its also called Indian butter fish. Basically kalia is hugely popular with Rohu fish. But I tried this kalia with Pabda fish, because its one of my favorite fish.
- Pabda fish – 4 to 5
- Onion – 1/4 cup (thinly sliced)
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Tomato – 1 no (slice)
- Yogurt – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Green chili – 2 to 3
- Sugar – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil for cooking
1. Clean and wash the fishes first, the put salt and turmeric powder to it. Now heat oil in a pan and fry the fish pieces in a medium heat until they are golden brown in color. Take them out in a plate.
2. Now in the same oil add the slice onion. Cook it till soft . Then add the ginger garlic paste, fry it nicely. Put the tomatoes with salt. Cover and cook till soften.
3. Now in a separate bowl add the yogurt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin power, salt and sugar. Give it a good mix.
4. Now add this mixture to the pan and stir well in a low flame. When the oil starts relishing from the sides add 1 cup hot water.
5. When water comes to boil reduce it little bit, add the fish pieces now. And cook for another couple of minutes. Once the gravy nice and thick add the garam masala powder with green chili. Give it a final stir once again.
6. Check the seasoning now and off the gas. Now fish kalia ia ready to serve and enjoy with plain rice.