Chicken Rezala is an authentic dish of Bengal, which has a rich and aromatic white base gravy and also has a very unique flavor . This dish is highly influenced by Royal Mughlai Cuisine and especially prepared for special occasions.
- Chicken – 800 gms (take curry cut pieces)
- Onion – 2 medium size (paste)
- Ginger & garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Thick yogurt – 1 cup
- Cashew – 10 piece
- Poppy seeds – 2 tbs
- Garam masala powder – 1 tbsp
- Bay leaves – 2 no
- Whole clove – 4 to 5 no
- Whole green cardamom – 2 no
- Whole black cardamom – 1 no
- Cinnamon – 2″ stick
- Peppercorns – 6 to 8 no
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Ghee – 1tbsp
- White Pepper powder – 1 tbsp
- Sugar – 1tsp
- Saffron – few stands soaked in water
- Salt to taste
- Dry red chili – 3 to 4
- Onion – cut in round shape
1. Wash and drain all the water from the chicken.
2. Soak the cashew and poppy seeds make a smooth paste. Beat the yogurt in a bowl till smooth. keep it aside.
3. Now marinate the chicken along with onion, ginger & garlic paste. Add curd, 1 tbsp salt & white pepper powder. Mix and keep aside at least for an hour. Best if you can marinate it for 4-5 hours.
4. Heat the oil and ghee. Put the whole spices to the oil. Let it sizzle and fill up your kitchen with lovely aroma. Shake off the marinate from the chicken and arrange them on the pan, preferably in single layer. on medium heat .Cook the chicken till all sides fry nicely .Now pour all the marinate and mix.
5. Cook for 8-10 minutes and now add the cashew &poppy seeds paste. Cover and cook for 2-3 minute . Now pour 1/2 cup warm water. Add Garam masala powder and cover. Let it simmer on low heat till oil starts to float on top and the chicken is cooked through.
6. Take another pan and put 1 tsp oil. Now put the onion rings and dry red chili. sautée in high flame till the onion get slightly brown color , it takes 1 minutes. Now put this mixture in chicken gravy . Add sugar & saffron water and check the seasoning also.
7. Keep covered at least 10 to 15 minutes or till you are ready to serve.
8. Serve with roti / paratha/ naan or pulao.
Use fresh yogurt for best result.