Green mango dal or aam dal is made in many ways, but in Bengali household its made with red lentils, means mosur dal. This dal preparation gives incredibly cooling effect in hot summer afternoons.
- Red lentils (mosur dal) – 1 cup
- Raw green mango – 1 no (medium size)
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry red chili – 2 no
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil for cooking
1. Wash and rinse the dal well , then let it boil in a pot using 2 cups of water. Boil the dal till it is soft, but not mushy. (It can be pressure cook also, by using only 1 whistle)
2. Then pell the mango and cut it in wedges, 2 cm thick (approx). Now heat a kadai with 1 tbsp oil. Temper the oil with mustard seeds and dry red chili.
3. Once the mustard seeds starts crackle add the mango wedges, followed by salt. Now cover the pan and allowed the mangoes to cook in a low heat , till they are soft. Stir occasionally.
4. Once the mangoes are soft, add the turmeric powder and the boil dal. Adjust with salt. Now allow everything to boil for 5 to 6 minutes. Now its done and turn off the heat.
5. After brining it to room temperature, it can be served with hot rice and aloo bhaja or begun bhaja.