ilish or hilsha fish is loved by all the Bengali families all over the world. This jeera ilish or cumin hilsa is not tasty but also very flavourful and most importantly its stomach friendly also.
- Fish pieces – 4 no
- Cumin paste – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kalonji seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Green chili – 2 to 3 no
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil for cooking
1. Clean & wash the fish pieces firstly then put salt and turmeric powder.
2. Now heat mustard oil in kadai, when oil heats up slightly fry the fish pieces for about 1 minutes each side. Then keep aside.
3. In the remaining oil put kalonji seeds, when it starts crackle add the cumin paste, turmeric & red chili powder. Fry this masala in a law flame, till the raw flavors gone and oil starts to leave the sides.
4. Now add 1 & 1/2 cup of water and salt, bring it to boil. After that add the fish pieces along with green chili and cover it for 5 to 6 minutes in medium flame.
5. Check the seasoning and switch off the flame. Now serve hot with rice.
Cumin paste – Take 2 tbsp cumin powder in a bowl, soak in water for 15 to 20 minutes. Then put this mixture in a mixture grinder and make a smooth paste of it, and use.