Robibarer Murgir Jhol actually means a Bengali style chicken curry, which is made in every bengali household in sunday afternoon. Its a typical style of chicken curry that we cherish on our lazy sundays with steaming hot rice. The ingredients are very simple and easy to cook also.
- Chicken – 1 kg (curry cut pieces)
- Onion – 1 big size (thinly sliced)
- Potato – 2 no (cut it halves)
- Ginger & garlic paste – 1:1 tbsp
- Tomato – 1 no (slice)
- Green chili – 3 to 4 no
- Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp
- Kashmiri red chili powder – 1 tbsp
- Chicken masala powder – 1 tbsp
- Bengali garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Bay leaves – 2 no
- Whole black pepper – 10 to 15 no (optional, its my personal choice)
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil for cooking
Bengali garam masala powder – 1″cinnamon stick, 4 cardamom, 4 cloves , put this whole spices in mortar & pestle and make a powder of it. Keep aside.
1. Clean and wash the chicken pieces firstly. Then add the chicken masala powder, salt, whole black pepper, ginger & garlic paste with a 1tbsp of mustard oil. Marinate it for half an hour.
2. Now heat mustard oil in a kadai and fry the potato halves on a medium heat till they turn golden yellow in color, keep aside.
3. In the remaining oil add sugar, this will gives nice color to your gravy and taste also. Then add the bay leaves and slice onion. Fry it in a low heat till they become light brown (it will take 10 to 15 minutes )
4. Then add Kashmiri red chili powder and turmeric powder, mix it. Add the chopped tomato along with marinated chicken . Now fry it in a high heat till the chicken looses its raw pink color.
5. Now turn the heat in medium and cover and cook till the chicken soft and tender. Stir occasionally.
6. Add the fried potatoes now with green chili and 2 cups of warm water. Cook it for another 5 minutes, then sprinkle bengali garam masala powder and cover it. Switch off the flame now and give it standing time for another 10 minutes. Then serve hot with rice.