Chana masala or Chickpea masala is all time favorite recipe in my kitchen. Today I am making this chana masala in pressure cooker for time saving.
- Chickpeas – 2 cups (soaked overnight)
- Onion – 1 no (chopped)
- Ginger & garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Tomato – 1 no (chopped)
- Green chili – 2 no
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Chana masala powder – 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Bay leaves – 1 no
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon stick – 1 medium size
- Coriander leaves – a few
- Lemon juice – 1tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for cooking
1. Take a pressure cooker and heat it up using a tbsp of oil. Then add bay leaves, cinnamon stick and cumin seeds . Cook for few seconds till you get the aroma.
2. Now add chopped onion, cook for about a minute . Then add ginger & garlic paste , mix well.
3. Add the spice powder now except garam masala. Season with salt & mix. Put the chopped tomatoes and cook till mushy.
4. Now add the soaked chana and stir well. Add 2 cups of water and cover the lid. Cook it for 4 to 5 whistle or until done. Let the pressure cooker cool down completely.
5. Open it carefully, if required add little hot water just to adjust the gravy. Add the garam masala powder & coriander leaves, finish it off with lemon juice and stir well. Now its ready to serve .
6. Enjoy this quick and easy chole masala with rice, roti, pori or paratha.
I am using pressure cooker for this chole masala recipe. You can use Pressure cooker, rice cooker or instant pot also.