Today I am making fish curry with tomato base gravy. Which is also very easy authentic Bengali style of fish gravy. The ingredients are very simple and quick to make. So lets get stared.
- Fish – 4 no
- Ripe tomato – 2 big size ( finely chopped)
- Ginger paste – 1 tsp
- Kalonji seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp
- Kashmiri red mirch powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tbsp
- Potato – 1 no slice (optional)
- Tomato – 1 no (thick slice)
- Green chili – 3 to 4 no
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp chopped
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil for cooking
1. Clean and wash the fish pieces first, then marinate with some salt and turmeric powder. keep aside for 10 minutes.
2. Now heat mustard oil in a pan and fry the fish pieces in medium flame. When the fishes turn light golden color take out of the pan and keep aside.
3. In the same pan now fry the potato pieces. When done keep aside.
4. If required add some more oil for the curry. When oil heats up Add kalonji seeds & green chili and let it crackle for few seconds.
5. Now add the ginger paste and mix it in a medium flame for a minute . Add the chopped tomatoes now with a salt. Cook till its gets mushy and oil starts to separate on the sides.
6. Now add spice powder and mix nicely, continue to cook for about a minute. Add 1 & 1/2 cups of warm water and bring it to boil.
7. Then add the fried potatoes and fish pieces. Cover and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes in a medium flame. Add the tomato slice now, so that i
t is soft but not fully cooked. (we like the soft tomatoes in fish gravy, if you don’t like you can avoid it)
8. The gravy should be medium thick consistency, when you get that switch off the flame and put the coriander leaves . Mix it and give a standing time for another 5 minutes.
9. Now serve with steaming hot rice.