Green moong dal curry is not only easy & simple recipe but also very nutritious dal, which is cooked with onion, tomato and other simple Indian spices. This dal goes very well with roti or rice.
- Whole green moong dal – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 medium size (chopped)
- Tomato – 1 no (chopped)
- Garlic – 2 cloves ( finely chopped )
- Ginger – 1/2 tsp grated
- Green chili – 2 no slits
- Kashmiri red mirch powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Hing (Asafoetida) – A pinch
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Oil for cooking
1. Rinse and soak the 1 cup green moong dal in enough water for at least 4 to 6 hours or overnight.
2. After dal is soaked, put the dal in a pressure cooker with water and salt. Cook for 1 whistle if soaking overnight otherwise it requires 2 to 3 whistles.
3. When done remove the lid and check, if dal is ready then keep aside.
4. Now heat 1 tbsp oil in kadai. When oil heats up add the cumin seeds and hing. Now add chopped onion and saute for about a minute. Put the chopped ginger & garlic. Cook till the color changes.
5. Now add the chopped tomatoes, green chili, turmeric powder, coriander powder , Kashmiri red chili powder with salt, cook till it is mushy.
6. Now add the cooked dal to this mixture. Mix them nicely. If required add little water and bring it to boil.
7. After that add the game masala powder and coriander leaves. Mix it and switch off the flame. Now add 1 tsp lemon juice (optional) and mix.
8. Now serve hot with roti or rice.