- Split yellow lentils/yellow moong dal – 1/2 cup
- Red lentils/ masoor dal – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Panch foron – 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chilly – 2 no
- Green chillies – 1 no chopped
- Onion – 1 tbsp chopped
- Tomato – 1 tbsp chopped
- Fresh lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves & lemon slices for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- Oil for cooking
1. Rinse the moong dal & masoor dal, sook it for half an hours. Then pressure cook the dal with 1 1/2 cups water along with turmeric powder and salt for 2 whistles or until it turns soft and mashed.
2. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan, put panch foron & dry red chili , let it splutter. Now add green chili & onion , cook till soft. Add the tomatos , mix well.
3. Put the mashed dal in a pan. Add 1 cup water . Let this cook on a medium flame for 6-7 minutes or till the gravy reaches desired consistency. Keep stirring occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
4. Once done, remove from heat. Add the freshly squeezed lemon juice and mix well. Keep this aside. Now garnish with round lemon slices and coriander leaves. Enjoy dal with served with hot rice.